MoniqueReads

The Little Reading Nook

The Wicked - L.A. Banks Plot:
The plot of The Wicked continues were the last book ended, setting up for Armageddon. Damali and Carlos are finally married and her ex-almost-lover Cain is pissed. There is not much to say about the plot, it follows the rest of the books well and is just another piece in the puzzle needed for the final battle.

Characters:
I love the characters in this series. Mainly, I love Carlos. In this installment, Carlos grows a lot as a person. His relationship with Damali is tested but he is able to overcome the past and move forward not only to save their marriage but also for the good of the team. Damali has always been a solid character to me. She pretty much the same character wise. She did learn that she is not invincible and learned a bit of humility.

One thing that has always bothered me about Banks characters is that they all have about the same voice. There was no real variations in the dialogue to distinguish between characters. The only time that the characters "voice" was different was when dealing with hybrids or the vampire from Louisiana, that used French terms. Otherwise there was no variation in speech patterns which is annoying since Banks uses dialogue to give readers important information.

Writing:
LA Banks writing style is very engaging. I finished this book in two sittings, staying up until 3am the first night. I just did not want to put it down. The only negatives in Banks writing other then the dialogue issue is that she tends to do a lot of information dumping. Which I normally skip because sometimes the information is not that important (at least to me). Also, her fight scenes are a little confusing. I don't always understand what is going on and end up having to read some sections several times before I get it.