MoniqueReads

The Little Reading Nook

The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration - Isabel Wilkerson I normally find history books to be "dry" but not The Warmth of Other Suns. I found it to be engaging and easy to read. I think the fact that Wilkerson, focused large portions of the book on the personal experiences of Foster, Sterling and Gladney helped a lot. In between their stories she will add in facts about the time periods and history of the south and the migration.

I experienced every emotion possible while reading this one: happiness, anger, excitement, pride, disappointment, sadness.

In fact, at one point at the end I had to put the book down because I did not want to read about Ida Mae Gladney dying. I had already read about George Sterling and Robert Foster dying and I did not think that I could handle her dying as well. All three of them, Gladney, Sterling and Foster, had became family members to me. In them, I saw member of my own family. Ida Mae reminds me of my great grandmother, who is originally from Texas but migrated to California in the 1950s.

Wilkerson did a great job telling the story of the Great Migration and the people the participated in it.