MoniqueReads

The Little Reading Nook

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot It's hard to review The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks because 1) it's non-fiction and 2) I really enjoyed it. It's hard to write a review when there is so much to say but I am trying to prevent spoilers.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot tells how a Henrietta Lacks unintentional became one of the most important women in science by dying of cancer. But that is just part of the story. The real story is about the children that Henrietta left behind and their struggle to understand what happened to their mother and the secrecy surrounding her contribution to science.

For a non-fiction book, I really connected with the people in it. Normally with non-fiction (and history) the events have already happened and I consider myself more of a watcher. I don't root for the individuals in the story. But I found myself connecting with Henrietta's children, especially Deborah, and rooting for them. Hoping that they someone would finally give them the information that they wanted on their mother.

For those that do not have a science background, do worry. Skloot made all the science behind the Henrietta's story understandable.

To finished this in two days and did not want to put it down. Which is something that I don't often say about non-fiction books.

Overall Recommendation:

This is a must read. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.