MoniqueReads

The Little Reading Nook

One Blood - Qwantu Amaru The reason that Qwantu Amaru 's One Blood caught my attention was the mention of Louisiana, slavery and curse. I was curious to see where he would go with this. I really want to say that Amaru pulled the plot off. He sort of did. One Blood was unique but there was just too much. There was too much ground to cover and it affected the flow of the overall story. Normally, book liked One Blood (thriller and horror) are easy reads for me, that I speed through and eat up. This time I found myself putting the book down after a couple chapters and resting.

The book goes back and forth from present day to past. At times there are markings to let you know what time frame this chapter is set in but at other times there aren't, which can get confusing.

As I mentioned before there is a lot of ground to cover, I think if was less information and backstory this would have been a better read. I just think the story was too "complex", it had too many parts. I found myself saying "WTF" a couple of time because information just did not seem to add up or it contradicted something for earlier in the novel.

Another issue I had with One Blood was that there were just too many characters to keep up with. There were like 10 that were important, and then there were a bunch more. It was impossible to connect with 10 characters, making it hard to connect with just one. While the synopsis says this is a story about Lincoln at thought this was more a story about Randy Lafitte and his family. Most of it had to do with them, Lincoln just seemed to get caught up in all there drama.

Amaru is a good writer and was able to keep my attention. I did want know what happened next and curious to find out how One Blood would end. I do look forward to reading more of his work in the future.